Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

Dohaisms

My trip to Doha was an even bigger failure this time, career wise. Otherwise, it was fairly spectacular. I met an exceptional bunch of people and had a lot of fun with them. I was also pampered in a five stars hotel, although I hated the food there, and everyone knows that food is an essential part of my life.

Small things captured my attention during my stay in Doha. For instance, I realized that rainbows can appear in one's bathroom sink, and if you are the idiot that I am, you could waste over 20 minutes of precious time clumsily grinning over that stupid rainbow. Sometimes, utter nonsense or such meager beauty can make me ridiculously happy...

In Doha I realized that a small Kinder gadget given to me by a dear friend to keep me company can actually entertain the hell out of me for hours on end.

In Souk Wakef, I came to acknowledge the existence of perfume brands other than my habitual Amor Amor. A couple of those were actually smellable. Is that even a word??

Before I discovered those fragrances, I sat across a herd of pigeons, just like I did in Damascus, and watched them for over 2 hours.


In Doha I proved the theory of acne resulting from spicy food.

In Doha I picked up online poker, and as predicted, got hooked and now can't sleep because I am too busy trying to win the virtual money I am so good at losing.

In Doha I came to appreciate my sofa bed and prefer it over the huge hotel bed that broke my bones. It seems I am just not used to fanciness.

In Doha I realized that I don't like to listen to music while surfing the net. I only listen to it in parallel to procrastination in Beirut to block out the extremely loud voice of that coffee shop asshole about whom I had written a previous blog.

In Doha I gave a beggar 5 Riyals before I realized I was in Doha and I am the one supposed to be begging there.

In Doha I yearned again, more arduously, for a place of my own, for independence.

In Doha I discovered the soothing effect of feet lotion.

In Doha I gained loads and loads of self esteem, and I am truly hoping Beirut doesn't take it away from me once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment