Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

He simply annoys me!

Almost every night, I come to this coffee shop on Sassine Square to read a bit, use the internet a bit and occasionally meet with some friends.

I will tackle my history with this spot another time, but for tonight, I would like to express my frustration with this guy that showed up here a few months ago out of nowhere, and it seems to me that he never leaves anymore! I come in here at any given time of the day, sometimes I come at 5 a.m., others at 2 p.m., but usually I am here at night. Nevertheless, he is around no matter what time it is, and it is starting to get on my nerves, why you may ask, well it is because he simply annoys me! Everything about him annoys the hell out of me...

He always has his laptop laying around on some table, and one keyboard simply isn't enough for him - Plato of his time, as we say in Arabic -  he has to attach another one to his Vaio so he could infuriate everyone around with his mad, ridiculously fast typing more easily.

What does he write all day, every single day, beats me. Is it a book? Is it his premature autobiography? I have no idea.

A friend I met in here a couple of weeks ago told me he remembers him from his university days. He recalls him very well and claims he hadn't changed any since. He still rides a motorcycle and still has a ponytail. He still dresses expensively but tastelessly. He still smokes mini cigars. And my friend enlightened me with an important piece of information about him: he used to write other students' papers in exchange for money. It seems to me, seeing the absurd amount of words he types per day, that he is still doing it for living.

His air of arrogance is what annoys me the most. No, what annoys me the most is that a waiter told me tonight, after I asked him to remove the straw from my coffee, that "Jihad" does the same. I had to ask who Jihad was of course, out of curiosity to see who else shares this particularity with me, and to my utter disbelief, the waiter pointed the annoying guy out! Two major inconveniences spring out of this occurrence:

1- Now the annoying guy has a name!
2- We have something in common!!! Ugh!!!!

Now that I have had my tirade, I am wondering, what might be his view of me? What if he thinks I am annoying as well? What if he is disgusted by my clothing or my choice of books or anything for that matter? Is the figure of Jihad a mirror of myself in some way? I mean I come here as often as he does or almost as much, I have my never ending routine, and I couldn't possibly be agreeable to everyone.

What if Jihad has written a blog in which he states how I annoy him as well? What if this coffee shop gathers a group of people creating a vicious circle of blogs in which they rant each about the other?

Now this is all starting to give me a bad headache, either this or the blasting Shantel music in my earphones I am not sure, but it is in both cases it is a sign for me to retire for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment