Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

the 300th book

After having read hundreds of silly romance books as a teenager, I stopped reading for a while and picked the hobby again during the war in July 2006.

As I started enjoying it more and more with every book, I set myself a goal. I didn't want it to be impossible but in the same time I didn't want it to be too easy. I decided that by the end of 2010, I should have read 300 books.

Last night, I started reading the 300th book and all I have to do now is finish it before the end of the year, but will I make it?

I mostly enjoy all the books I read because I take it upon myself to do the research and choose accordingly, and consequently, every subject or novel I read is often of interest to me; I am either intrigued by the subject, either have read another book or books by the same author and like them, either am taking the recommendation from a trusted source.

None of the above coincides with my 300th book.

I was browsing books at a nearby bookstore a while ago and I came upon a set of 12 Shakespearean plays for the great value of 14 USD. Since I usually hate reading books written using old English, I was set against buying them, but after a little encouragement from the bookseller who convinced me that Shakespeare is a must read, I decided to buy the set.

My 300th book is the 5th book from the Shakespeare set: Julius Caesar. Although I admire the mastership of the previous 4 books I read, I cannot bring myself to say that I have enjoyed any. Such a complicated language, and it brings to mind the painful memory of having read Nietzsche's Zarathustra earlier this year: a great book, but an obnoxious one to read, sadly.

I hate reading a book I am not enjoying, it feels like a punishment, but I can't help it, if I have started a book, I must finish it, like it or not. This also goes with movies...

The only book I never finished was a science-fiction book by Philip K. Dick. I couldn't stand it, especially since I got it in French. Science-fiction sucks. Star Wars sucks. Star Trek sucks. Heroes and Lost rock though.

Julius Caesar, will I be able to finish it on time? it is a very short play, but...

Oh and the 7 remaining plays I have yet to read.. Oh...

I guess I must assume responsibility for my choices, even when it could be so easy to turn my eye the other way and forget that I ever bought the set. I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night, I tell you.  

The only good thing about this play: Shakespeare made a joke early on in the book, and it made me laugh hysterically. I had no idea he could do that! Let us hope he keeps the jokes rolling until New Year's Eve.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    My name is Bogdan from Romania! I want to make friends!
    Can we be friends?? LinkExchange??
    My blog address is: www.bogdanstelistul.blogspot.com
    Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes of course! I would love to :)) follow my blog and I will follow yours, my first friend on blogger! :)

    ReplyDelete